Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:32:03 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torque convertor seal
Comments: To: aatransaxle@juno.com

Thanks, I was close to phoning you today, but I wanted to get it all together and done with. I'm sure, after this engine drop, that the torque convertor was leaking. I was going to see if you wanted to look at my torque convertor, to see if it needed a new bushing or not.... but I cleaned it up and put it in. There was two rings of wear on the outside where the seal rubs/rides. I figured the only solution there was a new T.C. and I didn't want to delay an already overdue job. I have tranny "noises" anyway, --213k on it, so why not. I've decided to run till it's dead, then find a replacement. I know you're the manual tranny expert, but do you do AT's? I'll need it someday.

THe convertor seal went in by hand...no pounding or etc. I set it flush, for I spoke with Bob Donalds this morning for clarification of a couple things. I dipped the seal in ATF as per Bentley, I hope they got that part right... I got my $66, two inch thick book in the middle of this job and I've incountered three errors!! I want my money back! The haynes manual is enough methinks.

Thanks again Brian Cochran Carnation,WA >From: aatransaxle@juno.com >To: rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM >Subject: Re:Torque convertor seal >Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:46:48 -0800 > >FLUSH....that is the real world way to put the seal in...no more than 1mm >below flush if you must....forget what bently says..go flush...never had >one with a problem doing it that way...done 50 + of them over the years > >Daryl of AA Transaxle >Duvall, WA.(Seattle area) >(425) 788-4070 >1-877-377-0773 toll free >http://www.aatransaxle.com (web site) >On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:42:13 -0800 Brian Cochran ><rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > > Hello my friends, > > Tomorrow morning I would like to put the engine and transaxle > > together.......but I can't until I get things straightened out.. > > > > The other day I asked about the torque convertor seal. Leave it > > flush with > > the housing as I found it or pound it home to the back of the > > groove?? > > Well, somebody out there replied to me, I forget who-- I just read > > 'em and > > delete--and they told me wrong info!!! Errrr , well at least I found > > that > > the bentley contradicts what they said. The person who wrote me > > said to > > leave the seal flush. That's how I found it and that made sense. > > But > > today, whilst trying to figure out what the toque convertor bushing > > is and > > what it should look like, I read that the seal should go in as far > > as > > possible....... > > Soooo.....who's right? I'm sure whoever went out of their way to > > write me > > had some reason for telling me to leave the seal flush. > > > > I want this project to be a memory, in the past, gone, and of > > course, > > successful. It's been fun, but lengthy. > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com >