Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:42:11 -0700
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      New heads?
Comments: To: dts@xmission.com, wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net

Vanagon list, Karl, Damian,

Well, I took my heads to my mechanic to get a valve job and clean up job. He said that one of them should not be reused: - the pitting on both of them was quite bad - on the one head, the spark plug threads had been redone once and didn't look very good.

My mechanic found a used head that he had laying around that he thought could be cleaned up (it looked bad to me, but I don't have any experience here). He wants to charge me $100 for it. I will have to pay more to get it cleaned up and get a valve job on it. (so, maybe $175 in all, but it depends on what the machine shop says)

So what do you think:

1) New head or used? I can get a new head with valves for $360 after tax from marnal (someone on the list discussed doing a bulk buy of these a month ago or so. They even have a distributor here in town so it would be easy)

And, if I get the new head, am I better off putting in different valves (someone mentioned this as well)

2) should I go with the used head and have the machine shop clean it up for me and give it a valve job? So, this would probably cost $175 in all instead of $360 for a new head.

Mechanic thinks the other head can be cleaned up quite well. So, that too is another debate. Should I pay him $60 to clean it and JB weld it or should I do it? I'm thinking that it is probably quite easy, so I'll save the $60 there.

Help! I need some support on this issue.

Blake, SLC, UT 84 vanagon