Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:14:19 +0200
From:         Nigel Bennett <NigelB@FOSCHINI.CO.ZA>
Subject:      Erratic idling 2.1 DJ engine SOLVED!

Hi all Haven't mailed this list in ages.

My engine revs at idle started fluctuating to 2500rpm 2 weeks ago. This got worse until it got stuck at 3000rpm a few times a day while driving, ie. normal driving, let go pedal, engine keeps running at 3000. So I took out my idle control unit (behind right rear taillight cluster) because I reckoned the idle valve was being kept fully open. I had to readjust the idle screw to keep the engine turning. I managed to drive to work but things went from bad to worse with the van struggling to idle, cutting out after deceleration and surging after delayed acceleration. The pipe was burning black as well, evidence that the mixture was completely messed up and that there was too much fuel and not enuf air (I use leaded fuel). Also, the engine would only start a few minutes after cutting out, presumably after the excess fuel had dried up.

What to do? Back home I slammed the drivers door and contemplated life's choices. Not for long, though, because soon I was prodding around the engine bay with my multi-meter checking resistor tolerances. Good news. I think the problem was the microswitch under the throttle body. I dismantled, cleaned and spent about an hour adjusting. The Haynes manual stipulates 1,5 ohms or less at idle and full throttle. My reading was 0.3 ohms and after studying the mechanism I realised that this value is *not* adjustable and merely represents the resistance value of the microswitch when it is engaged. I figured that, with my foot off the pedal, the microswitch was indicating acceleration (no resistance), exciting those injectors. Since the air flap was closed (foot off pedal), there was not enuf air, causing flooding and cut-out.

The engine has been running beautifully now for the last 2 days. Next I plan to replace 2 burnt resistors in the idle control unit and see what happens.

Hope this helps somebody.

Regards Nigel Cape Town, SA 1989 Caravelle Syncro