Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:57:51 -0500
From:         Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      2.1 oil leak?

Hi List Friends,

Last week I posted about my friend in Colorado in need of a good repair shop for her 87 westy. I received many great suggestions but now am wondering about her original problem.

She had this van for three days (hardly drove it) and the engine oil light came on shortly after leaving her house so she drove into the nearest filling station in Estes Park where they said there was no oil left in the case! She had them fill it up with oil but then it was unwilling to start. The van is now at a repair shop where they say they can't rebuild the engine cause the block is cracked (they want to sell her a used engine they happen to have). I know the 2.1's have a tendency to throw rods and make nice holes in the block but "cracks" are a new one to me.

After she returned home from the fillingstation she found a big puddle of oil on her drive so there must have been a major leak. With the engine not running where would you have a "major" leak other than from the drain plug??

Any ideas?

TIA Bob 84 westy, Wisconsin