Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:00:47 -0600
From:         "Frederick M. Wasserstein" <vwvan@CORNHUSKER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Nice Blue 90 GL
Comments: To: Donna Stewart <DStewart@chrm.com>

I purchased "Sammy" in August of 2000, She had been trucked here to Nebraska from California. She was never titled in Nebraska and sat for 5 years as the P.O. was always going to fix her up and never got around to it.The P.O. decided one day to go back to Ca. and since he worked with my wife he gave her a good price, if we would remove it from his property in a hurry. When I first saw her I thought what a wreck, one window was broken, the windshield was smashed. There were multiple animals calling the Van home, The front grill was gone and there were holes in the radiator.I had my doubts whether it was a junker or not! We towed her home with "The Beast" and my wife went to work cleaning the inside. I removed the radiator and sent it to the shop, went online and joined this list! Lots of people helped me learn what I need to do to get it running! (Thanks to all of you, you know who you are!) I got new air cleaner, new fuel filter (OEM), no phosphate antifreeze,new oil filter (OEM), oil, (all from list vendors)and waited for the radiator to return. Meanwhile back at the ranch as we cleaned up and threw away junk we relized the inside was in great shape. Before we could get much more done, the weather closed in on us and each nice day we got a few things done, replaced hoses and got radiator in. Changed oil added antifreeze and change filters. As money permitted I bought a new battery and alternator (it was apart and bad). Then we waited for better weather and more money and replaced the windshield and rear window. Put diesel in and watch as it drained out, the P.O. had diconnected the diesel tank, probably a good thing-I don't know what diesel would be like after 5 years! Reconnected the diesel tank used a blower to pressurized the diesel (I put some in first!) tank loosened the enjector until diesel came out and after cranking for about a hour I finally got her to run! She sounded great! Amazing! We ran her for 1.5 hours at idle and bled the cooling system! No leaks! When the 2' snow drift around her finally melts we will run her out to get titled! During December I decided to go though the paperwork and I found reciepts for a brand new motor, clutch, brakes and lots more. The total was $3600.00, I looked and the milage on the ticket showed it had been done less than 500 miles and 5 months before she had been parked. The P.O. forgot all the improvements he put into it! :-)) So now I am just waiting for some more money, I bought a Berg short shift kit a few days ago, then when the weather breaks I will start to work on her again. I grew up owning air cooled VWs and loved to work on them, so I am back to my first love in autos! The story of "Sammy" so far!!!

Fred 1982 Vagagon Diesel Westy "Sammy" 1984 GMC Suburban Diesel 4 X 4 "The Beast"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna Stewart" <DStewart@chrm.com> To: <vwvan@cornhusker.net> Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 6:18 PM Subject: Re: Nice Blue 90 GL