Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:42:35 -0800
From:         Holly and Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      bilge blower speed control - HOW?
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, vintagvw@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu, 914@rennlist.org

Okay - got a couple general electricity questions. My application is a 78 VW Westy (aircooled) but figured it's general car question basically.

Bought two Atwood 3" bilge blowers today. $17.36 each if you're curious. Plan on replacing my single cneter mounted VW aux blower (over the engine) with these guys.

Going to have to work out two small details - a flapper to control backflow through the blowers when not in use (the VW version has a flapper on each side) and speed control.

These little guys put out 145 cfm each so I doubt I'll need to run them at full blast very often. Of course since they are going to be set up with one providing thrust for only one side - I'll have to run both with I need the heat/blowers.

How do I construct a variable speed control for these? I need the equivalent of a ceiling fan speed control. Hmmm - would that work?

I don't want to put them down stream of the heaters because they won't last like I want them to - the box says don't subject them to more than 160 degrees continuously. I figure I'll risk hanging them in the engine compartment and see what happens.

That also rules them out as inline blowers... <grin> I have concerns with creating a situation where I could suck in exhaust fumes through seams in the exhaust system since instead of adding positive pressure, I would be adding negative pressure (basically).

What do you think?

Thanks everybody...

CHRIS in Tennessee scmills@tntech.edu ICQ: 5944649

'78 VW Westfalia '65 Beetle (Type IV powered) '99 CR-V 5 speed '49 Chevy 3100 Pickup '81 Honda CB900C

For Sale: 1 1/2 LM 110HP Corvair engines 1 EM 80 HP engine 1 LM Corvair 4 speed, 3.55 gear ratio 1 set of header pipes for a Corvair 1 adaptor plate for Corvair engine to VW transaxle

1 1949 Chevy Pickup, 3100, black, original, good driver restored bed $3000