Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:58:15 -0800
From:         Bruce Grove <bruce.grove@ENG.SUN.COM>
Subject:      91 vanagon 4 spd to 5 spd gearbox

Hi all,

I've recently joined the list and have a question already :-)

I recently moved to California from the UK having previously owned an old bay window followed by an 87 waterboxer vanagon. My 87 UK vanagon had a 5 speed gearbox which was great (and very common in Europe).

Having moved out to the US one of the first things I did was start searching for a new bus. I was amazed to find that none of the waterboxers (except Syncro's?) had 5 speed gear boxes. This is really noticable on long journeys where I find that at 70mph I'm now doing nearly 1000 rpm more than my old UK bus used to do, which isn't good. My theory on this is that in a country that used to have a blanket 55mph speed limit VW probably didn't see the need for the cost of the 5 speed box compared to Europe where 70-80mph is the norm.

I know I can't drop the syncro box in there without some major modification but I don't see any reason why I can't drop a waterboxer 5 speed in there, the final drive is the same and in fact there's very little difference in the first 4 ratio's and it's the same bellhousing. I might need to look at the linkage. The problem is sourcing one (I think it might class as excess baggage if I try to bring it back from a UK trip). Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Much appreciated, Bruce

91 Westfalia (untold luxury following teo previous self conversions :-)