Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:36:54 -0500
From:         James Flanigan <vanagon40@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Creek crossing (rainy day) blues

AH-HA, bad plug wires reminds me of another lingering problem I once had. Any night that it rained, my van would refuse to start in the morning. Would turn over fine, but no go. However, it would start and immediately run fine with a push start from my wife (with our Chevy van). The van would then start and run fine the rest of the day (no matter how much rain). At least this problem only occurred overnight so I was only stranded in my own driveway, with help available. But, besides being a PITA, this constant push starting was doing a number on my rear bumper. It was even getting difficult to open the licence plate hatch to check my oil. I finally (after many months) replaced my plug wires (universal Bosch wires that came on the van from the original owner and were not the fancy wires with the metal ends) with the recommended fancy wires (with the metal ends). Problem solved.

I then removed my bumper completely and did my best job straightening it (actually putting the curve back in) and was fairly satisfied with the result. In fact, it looked better than when I bought it. Then, just my luck, within two months, I got bumped from behind on the interstate exit ramp, and now my bumper is pushed in just enough so the license plate catches when closing the hatch. No good deed goes unpunished.

BTW, I think I am working towards a record as the biggest minor problem procrastinator. I lived with the fuel/water bad seal problem for at least two years. The wet morning push start for at least six months. A broken ignition switch (temporary (?) fix, a jumpered in starter button) for at least two years (even now that I fixed my ignition switch--thanks to Steve Sandlin--I still reach for the starter button instead of turning the key to the start position). It took almost a year for me to diagnose the problem I had with my bright lights that would not work, and then nearly another year to fix it. Well over a year with a slipping clutch. Several years with a rear hatch lock that would not lock (again thank you Steve Sandlin). And I still operate my radiator cooling fan manually (probably a faulty temperature switch on the radiator). It is only the BIG problems I fix immediately, like my radio and cigarette lighter (both replaced within a week of failure).

Sorry to take up so much space with my ramblings. TGIF to all.