Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:35:15 -0800
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: There are few bargains on eBay (but I bought my Westfalia
              this way)...

I agree with the general statement that there are few real "bargains" to be found on eBay. I have seen used Bentley Vanagon manuals sell for more than they would if the high bidder simply went to their local Barnes & Noble and bought a new one. It's as if people get caught up in the novelty of buying and selling goods in this way, and often they forget about whether the goods on offer are intrinsically worth what they are being bid up to.

I purchased my '87 Westfalia full camper (with only 29K on the engine) on eBay last year. I bought it from a couple in Colorado for $8500, which was several thousand less than its Blue Book value at the time, and a lot less than Westfalias being sold in the SF Bay Area were going for. But the only reason I got a good deal on the camper was that no one else entered the auction, and I was able to buy the van for the seller's opening bid amount. Plus, it helps if you are buying one of these vehicles from the midwest, where they don't seem to be nearly as popular as they are out here on the West Coast. I had to go to Colorado to pick up the van, but that was inexpensive (I took Amtrak).

Ebay's real selling point (excuse the pun) is the opportunity for sellers to find buyers for their items from all over the world. Similarly, buyers can find obscure, esoteric items that would ordinarily be hard to find without the ability to search for them like you can on eBay. eBay is effectively a huge marketplace for both buyers and sellers alike. But I don't recommend buying vehicles this way unless you know exactly what you're looking for and have done your homework.

dan