Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:07:58 -0800
From:         Robert Gruber <rgruberj@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: (no subject)
Comments: To: Wrmrwgn@aol.com

Wrmrwgn@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Robert, > Any success in finding the Diesel flywheel? > > Robert Keezer > 1982 Westfalia

Actually, I believe it's the correct flywheel; it has 132 teeth. The starter is gone through by Auto Electric, once Rainier Diesel Electric, an eminently reliable firm, at least when they rebuilt starters for me years ago. They told me they saw no problems with it, and I got away with replacing the solenoid--less than $60! The starter has 9 teeth on its gear, but doesn't engage the flywheel teeth, which are only slightly marred--mainly as though the teeth weren't meshing deeply enough. The starter just whirs, no engagement at all. Someone on the list suggested the bushing in the nose of the starter was worn, allowing it to flex, but the steel shaft sticks out past the bronze bushing, and I see no wear at all in the bushing and no motion in the shaft end. I took the tranny out to examine everything, but I'm stymied. I've been reading the posts these five days, and it's quite lively; any more thoughts out there?