Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:32:01 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent Starting problem
Comments: To: Barry Armitage <armitage.1@OSU.EDU>

Barry Armitage wrote:

> on my last long trip I > stopped at a rest stop and the car wouldn't start -- lights okay, no > clicking, no turnover of the starter or the engine. I push started it and > it was okay, and I finished the trip. For the next few days it would do > the same thing almost everytime I tried to start it (I learned to park on a > hill). Then after a few days the problem went away and the van has been > starting fine, everytime for the past month.

Barry: I've had 4 VW vans with the same problem, starter inoperative after 2 hrs at speed on a trip (no problem around town). Because of the voltage drop in the long wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid the voltage delivered is just enough to activate the solenoid when everything is in good condition. In time, the contacts in the switch,etc. deteriorate and the brushes in the starter itself wear, providing a poor ground path for the solenoid. The brushes and the solenoid have more resistance when hot. Tapping the starter or solenoid with a hammer or lug wrench while a helper holds the key in the start position will usually get you going (only option when on a trip with an automatic). On 3 of my vans the solution was to install a relay under the back seat. (Current from ignition switch activates relay; relay connects solenoid to plus.) On one vehicle, the relay only helped temporarily. Having the starter rebuilt fixed it; the solenoid ground is thru the starter. Good luck.

Larry A. Chicago 91 GL (my 5th)