Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:10:52 -0500
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      first leg of trip success/couple questions

hey all, first part of my journey is complete. i made it from upstate new york to st. louis without a hitch. this is on the engine i installed a couple of months ago on my 90gl. i missed the snow storm in new york, i got to meet chris turner in penn (thanks again chris for the heater cores) and then on to st. louis. i slept at a truck stop in dayton ohio with my dog poonce and was up early yesterday morning for the rest of the trip. it took me total about 17 hours, i am under full load and making frequent stops for my dog to run around.

as some of you may recall, i am experiencing a real bad oil leak which may be coming from my flywheel seal. i won't know until i get to my final destination in montana, another 1800 miles or so. i will then drop the tranny and investigate further. this trip to st. louis i lost a total of one qaurt of oil through that seal. not too too bad for 1100 mile trip. i am keeping a watchful eye on it and hope that i can make it to montana without any real problems from this leak.

what i noticed though is after driving many hours and stopping for gas, i check my oil. when i pull the dipstick, i can see what appears to be smoke coming out of the dipstick hole. is this normal? being a chef, i know the smoking point for most cooking oils is well over 400 degrees (except for butter), what is the smoking point for motor oil? should i be worried about this? it was very cold outside, could this be vapor or steam or something like that that only shows up when cold out?

my second questions is this. i developed this sort of knocking noise when i start to drive off. it just started on this trip. i stop for gas or whatever, and as i pull away the back wheels knock once and then all is well. i drive away and everything is fine at normal driving speeds. it is pretty consistent. it almost feels like something sticks and then releases as i drive away. this only occurs the moment i start to drive, at low torque in first gear, not sure if it happens in reverse. sound familiar to anyone? rear CVs? i have a little tranny leak from the right rear wheel axle, could this knock be related to tranny, low fluid?

finally, high fast can you push these vans? in third and fourth, how high rpms can you cruise at? this is on a 2.1. i drove at speeds of about 65 to 70 with rpms in at about 3800-4000. engine sounded fine. can you push it beyond this and cruise okay? in third gear how high rpms can you cruise at? tia everyone jason 90gl _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com