Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:43:27 -0500
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Are synchros more trouble than they are worth???
Comments: To: Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>

Most definitely *Y*E*S* but only if you spell it *S*Y*N*C*R*O*

We have two syncros, both 1986, one a Doublecab and the other a Westfalia. Without them, life here in the snowy part of Ontario, Canada would next to impossible. On several occasions, we were able to get through snow & ice conditions that even the snow plows failed to navigate. If you have ever seen the pictures of Derek Drew on skidoo trails, that could just as well be us. He does it for fun; we live it.

-Larry

wayout@IX.NETCOM.COM writes:

<< I could consider a synchro... But Im wondering if I should bother... I get the gut feeling that VW didnt have a whole lot of experience doing 4WD . . .

. . . I should stick with my usual automobile asthetic of "the simpler the better".

What do you folks think? Am I looking at expensive problems with a synchro, or are drivetrains comperable in reliabilty to a 2WD? >>

Jason,

I am sitting here looking out on at least a foot of snow covering the road in front of my house, so perhaps I am the wrong person to address you questions. I have 2 Syncri solely because I want to be able to hop in one of them and drive the 600 feet to the closest plowed street without getting my feet wet. Having said that, I think a better Vanagon would be a 2WD with a locking rear axle. Once I decide to retire my older Syncro, I plan to salvage its locking differential for such a transplant. Anyway, syncro doesn't have the ground clearance for any real off-roading.

VW also must have doubted their finesse with 4WD because they farmed out the Syncro to one of the world's premier 4WD manufacturers, Steyr-Puch. I am sure Steyr-Puch does not make junk, but their 4WD system does require a lot of hardware and, obviously, more things to maintain. Some Syncro parts are much more expensive than the 2WD equivalent. Also, it is prudent to change tires 4 at a time on a Syncro.

Rich