Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Mar 2001 01:06:24 -0800
From:         VW Addict aka The Bus Nut <solomon_scott@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      My New Westy is home!
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

He everyone, As you may know I was buying an 85 Westy Multi-van. I finally got it home on Saturday. I am thrilled with this thing. The PO loved this van and so it came with some odd things. I got every manual that came with it when new and even a blue owners manual bag with Westfalia logo on it. I also got lots of paperwork showing work that had been done over the years he had it. The pictures on my web page are the ones that the PO sent me and now I need to add my own. I will be taking some picture soon and adding them. I had to remove lots of stickers (including a Phish one), I hate stickers. I added a set of trim rings to the wheels and got some non-rusty hub caps. The drive home with it was great except for the really bad tires. They are the wrong type and one caused a bad pull. I got wo new ones for the front, but still need some for the rear. One of the receipts that came in the stack had some scary stuff on it. It showed on one side 4 spark plugs, then the 4 was crossedout and a 3 marked there. Under it, it said "1 plug stuck". As it turns out, it was the #1 plug and it was stuck. I waited over 24 hours to be sure the engine was cold and then carefully removed the plug. It was very tight, but there were no signs of damage to the treads. It turns out it was a Platnum. I replaced it with a Super and added a little anti-seize to keep it from happening again. Once I did this it started to run a little better, that one odd plug made it run funny. So far I am real pleased with it, I still need to get the emissions checked, but I got to install a gasket on the Cat first. The Cat. Converter gasket leaks, but I got a new one from VW today and will install it soon. I am planning to install a 1.8l or 2.0l Jetta/Golf engine, but with as well as this 1.9l runs right now, it may take a long time before I need to make the swap. I guess I have time to save up for the right 2.0l engine and adapter. I will update my web page soon.

===== Scott Solomon AKA "VW addict" 85 Westy Multi-Van (SOON!) 83 Vanagon D parts heap 76 Triple White 'Vert 72 Super Beetle(maybe for sale) http://www.geocities.com/solomon_scott/ See my FOR SALE area