Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Mar 2001 07:41:20 -0600
From:         Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More O2 Sensor confusion...
Comments: To: groch@WORLDCHAT.COM

I find it invaluable to know what my 02 sensor is doing. I made a digitool.

A person can get the same information by piggy-backing a light gauge wire into the 02 sensor connection. Then bring that wire up to the drivers area and use a digital multi-meter to watch what your 02 sensor is sending to the ECU. You will need a ground for the multi-meter also. You can watch the 02 sensor in closed or open loop depending on how you hook it up of course.

Be careful the wire does not interfere with the engine cover closing,you don't want exhaust fumes in your van. Also put the multi-meter on the dash so you are not distracted and wreck your Van.

With my digitool, once I saw that the AFM, Temp 2, etc, where all ok, I leave it hooked up to the 02 sensor all the time. I have seen a stumble because of low 02, and I have seen the engine surge at idle because it was running too rich. I find it quite interesting.

Good Luck, Mark Ingalls