Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:22:21 -0500
From:         "Pernice, Vincent {RESE~Nutley}" <VINCENT.PERNICE@ROCHE.COM>
Subject:      What do you think? -buying advice question

Hello all, I've been looking into buying a westy for some time now, and about the only difficulty I've had in my quest is the rarity of these things in the NJ/NY area. I've managed to locate an 85 with 20k on a rebuilt engine and new transmission and no rust (obviously not a local van). However, there are a few issues that it has: a cracked windshield, rich emissions, wrong tires, possibly leaky steering rack, dented bumpers and generally unkempt interior / exterior cosmetics, but nothing I couldn't handle myself or that seemed like a pricey fix. I think I can get it in the mid $3k range, but the only thing that's stopping me is the fact that there is no AC, and that fact that I had originally wanted a synchro. There was an 86 Westy Synchro that was described as being loaded, in very good condition and being sold in NJ for only $6500, but alas I was too late because I hesitated and someone else snatched her up. So, my question to all of you, especially to those who have owned both 2wd and synchro is, should I hold out for another synchro, or jump on the 85 (which I think is a great deal considering the mechanicals). I don't know how much off road driving I would be doing with two kids, and even as a snow vehicle, is the synchro worth the extra purchase price / maintenance / repair cost? Also, if I decide to pursue the 85, I will be doing a compression test regardless of what the owner's receipts say. Does any one know what range is acceptable compression for the 1.9? Regards, Vince Pernice

[text/html]