Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:41:54 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Undercoating/rustproofing recommendations ?

If you are going to undercoat an old vehicle like this you will need to have it cleaned up under there first--sandblasted or whatever.

Wurth and/or Waxoyl makes the best undercoating.

Don't use "rubberized" undercoatings because when they get a few years old they get brittle and crack and the moisture gets trapped under them and they are worse than not having undercoating at all.

For inner panels use inner panel formula.

Wax based goop formulations are best.

Worst rust place on the Westfalia is behind the fridge: everybody who has not yet removed the refrigerator and removed the insulation along the floor all along back there has a real problem I am afraid. It is only a matter of time until the side of the vehicle bursts open at that side.

No professional will do this job with as much care as you would. This cuts both ways, as if you do it it will become a Federal Case and take a lot of your time and energies. But it is real easy to go under there with a spray can and you can get the job done for $50 of FLAPS cans instead of $200 at the rustproofing place.

I never believed in "rust converters" much but once bought Rust Mort from jcwhitless and I must confess it was stunningly effective and stopped and converted a bast rust area on a 72 bus I had for years of Vermont salt winters. In other words, it really worked great.

Thin coats are better than thick coats when it comes to rustproofing. Avoid formulations promoted primarily as "sound deadeners" as that is not your primary purpose.

Your plan to have it rustproofed in Denver sounds doubtful to me unless you can arrange to treat or or remove the rust that is under there first. Otherwise they will just spray the rustproofing over the rusty metal out of laziness.

At 12:27 PM 3/7/01 -0500, you wrote: >It looks as if I'm about to buy a Syncro Westy from Colorado. I'll be moving >it back to the East Coast - mid-coast Maine, where they use lots and lots of >salt on the roads in the winter. I'd like to get the vehicle undercoated in >Denver - or someplace else on the road back. Does anyone have any advice on >this subject? like things to look out for or do in preparation, etc.? Most >importantly, can anyone suggest a reliable place to get this work done not >too expensively along either interstates 76 - 80 between Denver and Chicago >or interstate 70 between Denver and Columbus, OH? Phone numbers and full >contact info would be appreciated. > >Thanks for your help. > >Kevin

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder http://www.ConsumerSearch.com/ =========================== "Best Expert Review Site" for product reviews on the Internet Jan. 2001, PC World Magazine ========================== 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@rcn.com 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home), 978-359-8533 (fax [efax]), 212-269-3188 (Seaport office).