Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:33:16 EST
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: O2 sensor stuff
Comments: To: wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net

Karl;

Having worked on the van and paid close attention to this list for almost two years I think I can safely say that we are all all wet some of the time. Some times we are all all wet all the time:)

The fluctuating RPM disappeared when I reconnected the O2 sensor before lunch. The stumble is back but the idle is smooth. I've got the part number for VW's replacement wire and will try to find one. Until then I'll just stomp the pedal enough to engage the TPS WOT position and back off real quick. Crazy but it works. Your advice goes in my 'Check on this' pile for future use.

My engine is a low mileage unit (not quite 58K -- compression is excellent so I think that's correct) but the AFM looks like a parts pile reject (I suspect a shady mechanic swapped it on the PO). Looking at the photos posted not too long ago of a higher mileage AFM tends to confirm this since the posted version had fairly tight, narrow wear lines on the carbon track while mine has real fat, fuzzy wear lines. That combined with the mashed outlet (nice 'D' shape -- a piece of duct tape took care of some running problems and greatly reduced the stumble) has me saving for a new AFM. I figure on doing a full blown seal/hose/clamp replacement and a huge cleaning when I get a new one. A dirt free system with new hoses and seals, and tight connections should run perfect, right? At least until it doesn't.

In no way do I mean this as anything more than an observation -- I've come to believe that anyone who listens to problem A and states with authority that part B is THE source is most likely mistaken. Someone who says I had problem A and fixed it by replacing, adjusting, or otherwise dinking with part B most likely has some useful information. If they say I replaced, adjusted, or otherwised dinked with parts B, C, D, and Z they may fully understand the problem.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy -- 'Roland'