Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:08:49 +0200
From:   Stebbins <stebbins@AUCEGYPT.EDU>
Subject:   K&N filter revisited with Pictures

Sorry to open this thread again, but we just finished a 2500 km drive around Egypt's "Desert Oasis Loop" and again we drove over a lot of sand and through sand storms etc. and my K&N filter is again very DIRTY.

I took some pictures this time and they are at: http://www.photopoint.com/ . Enter my email address ( stebbins@aucegypt.edu ) in the upper right corner of the page, where it says VISIT ALBUMS and the album is called "K&N Filter Pictures", click on the thumbnail size pictures, Note that there is an option for each picture (down at the bottom right) to make the picture FULL SIZE. If you have the band width, you may want to do this for the detail.

What I see here is a very dirty air filter, but the inside of the carb plate is fairly clean. There is some bits of sand on the inside on the plates, but not dirty. The top & bottom plates over & under the filter are very oily and if there was as much sand dust getting through the filter, I would assume that the the inside of the carb would be about as dirty, or at least show evidence of the sand dust getting in past the filter to coagulate on the oily parts of the top and bottom plates.

I should also say that even with the dirty air filter, the engine ran fine (we had other problems (coolant pipe burst) but that's another story (coming soon to a list serve near you :-))

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say after looking at the pictures. Malcolm