Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:14:19 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      home engine repair happenings:  final fixes and oil presssure
              light woes

I was awoke out of bed this morning by Boston Bob Donalds (three hour difference). We discussed at length my oil pressure light at warm idle. I'm kinda optimistic, but this is a concern. Bob advised the following:

1. Get a new oil pressure relief valve spring. Mine was replace two owners back in '97, but an cheap exchange to rule out the problem.

2. We spoke at length about the VDO sender and gauge. I would invite input on this please. At what pressure does the dual sender idiot light portion make the dash light up?? I called Bus depot, and after a long wait of long distance charges, they told me they didn't know. (I am going to have a depot gripe thread in the future concerning this project). I'm going to check the bus -boys site, for I believe they have more knowledge about this.

I'm going to check into getting the plugged .9 bar hole re-activated and put the VW sender there. (2.1 conversion.. no dual sender wiring.) THis mess started with the gauge installation. (I installed the gauge due to the light flickering, but that prob was found to be a short in the wire)

3. I'm going to install the 15w-40 oil to replace the 30 stuff. It's a temperate rainforest climate anyway. (rarely freezes)

4. We talked timing, which I just had done for 7 bucks. (I did most of the work, including advising the guy as to how it's done.) I was a tad over 5 ATDC. We brought it to 5 ATDC after realizing the idle was WAY off. The engine had been running on retard adjustments. When I disconnected the hoses from the vacuum retard/advance on the distrib, the timing was all over the place and the engine was ROUGH RUNNING! I adjusted the idle screw by screwing it in about 5-6 full turns (maybe more) and the engine calmed down and became smooth.

Other adjustments, I realized the cooling system still had some air in it. As per the Boston Bob method, I did NOT touch the radiator, but just ran her at a strong rpm (hopefully 2000 or so), and kept the expansion tank full, topping off and closing before releasing the throttle. I think I did okay, but I forgot to open that plastic knob valve in the engine comparment. THis is an easy job, not too messy and I will probably do it again to be completely sure. There is som air in the top parts of the expansion tank, but I have always know there to be some air there. ANy thoughts??

Overall, I think one or all of those jobs above is going to cure the oil light. I do think there is something not quite right with the gauge set-up.

Brian Cochran 84 westy 2.1L AT.