Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:56:05 -0600
From:   John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:   Re: home engine repair happenings: final fixes and oil presssurelight woes
Comments:   To: Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>

Brian, I have found that 20W-50 works good for me. I'm in the deep south so that makes some difference. Just thought I would let you know you can go up a bit mor in viscosity and it won't hurt. In temperatures that get into sub-freezing and stay more than a day or so, I to would prol'ly look to a lower viscosity oil.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver - no oil pressure lights come on -- except when the water pump breaks and knocks the pressure switch wire off.

Brian Cochran wrote: > > Thanks for the response,,,,, wow, this is interesting, 7-10psi for the idiot > light portion of the dual sender? If that is correct, then I'm okay I > think. WHen I go to the 15w-40 the light shouldn't come on, since it > "barely" comes on now. .3 bar, is 4-ish psi, I believe. If I'm lighting > up "barely at 7-10 psi, then I'm in the normal operation zone! > Brian Cochran > > >From: Old Volks Home <jimt@oldvolkshome.com> > >To: Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM> > >Subject: home engine repair happenings: final fixes and oil presssure > > light woes > >Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:08:21 -0800 > > > >Hi Brian - > > > >You wrote: > ><<2. We spoke at length about the VDO sender and gauge. I would invite > >input > >on this please. At what pressure does the dual sender idiot light portion > >make the dash light up?? I called Bus depot, and after a long wait of long > >distance charges, they told me they didn't know. (I am going to have a > >depot gripe thread in the future concerning this project). I'm going to > >check the bus -boys site, for I believe they have more knowledge about > >this.>> > >********************** > >I set up the Bus Boys Site years ago and the info should still be there. > >However, in case it isn't, here it is straight from the horse's mouth. > >Factory senders for the idiot light generally come on between 2 and 4psi > >which I've always thought is way too low. The VDO Dual Sender's idiot > >light comes on at 7 to 10psi. > > > >I have a 2.1 conversion in my 84 Westy (see link below). I wanted to > >install the VDO Dual Sender in the spot next to the oil filter, but I have > >the dual cast-iron pulley that's just too much in the way. So I just ran > >the VDO Adaptor hose to the oil pressure spot below #3 & #4. Mounted the > >sender to the pushrod tube tin and to enhance the ground I ran a strap from > >one of the tin bolts to chassis ground. > > > >I solved my oil pressure woes by running Valvoline Racing 20/50w and only > >running factory Mann/Mahle Filters. Idle is about 15-18psi, freeway > >running is usually 35-40psi at operating temperature/70mph. 30 wt is great > >for breaking the engine in for the first 500 miles, but after that I run > >20/50. I occasionally get a noisy lifter, but it's usually after the Westy > >has been sitting for a week or two. Goes away after warm-up. I change oil > >and filter 3000 miles religiously (habit goes way back into the 60s on > >every VW I've owned). Have 60+K on the current engine, put 28K of that > >traveling the US in 1999-2000, only casualty was a water pump at 58K > >(German one at that). > > > >Oil filter note: If you can't get Mann/Mahle, I have used Wix 51342 or AC > >PF56 with no oil pressure flow problems. Stay away from Bosch or Fram > >Filters - they don't even make good paperweights :-) > > > >Hope this helps > > > > > >JIm > >84 Westy 2.1 > >"On The Road" > >jimt@oldvolkshome.com > >jim96003@c-zone.net > >*********** > >**Need to find the right dizzy? > >http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm > >OR > >http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm > >**Upgrade your 83.5-85 Vanagon to 2.1 > >http://www.oldvolkshome.com/19to21.htm > >*********** > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com