Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:52:18 -0500
From:         Helen Fahy <72510.1173@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Making an add-a-room for an EVC
Comments: To: Trevor Cradduck <cradduck@KESTON.COM>

Helen, my spouse, designed and constructed a screened in room for our Vanagon, I helped a little. We have a box style side awning with support legs at the ends of the awning roller, but it has no support structure on the sides.

There were 2 design problems for us. The first was how to attach the room to the awning/van. The second was how to get in the room once it was attached.

The first we solved by not attaching it to either, well almost. We draped the screen room "roof "over the awning, and hung the wrap around "wall" from the "roof" panel. We do have a couple fabric tie strips in the corners to tie the "wall" to the awning support poles.

The second was to use sew vinyl magnetic seals to the ends of the "wall" to keep the ends snug to the van. To get in, just lift the end of the "wall".

We made the room out of 2 assemblies, the "roof" fabric panel and a single piece wrap around "wall" fabric and screen panel, and 3 aluminum poles( 2 for end "wall" support, the third was to trap the "roof" to the van/awning) . To limit the damage that can be done by the aluminum poles to fabric, flesh and finish, I glued 1/2" pvc piping stubs into the ends of the poles.

The 2 support poles fit into pockets in the "roof" panel and support the ends of the "wall" that are perpendicular to the van. These poles are supported by the van roof gutter at one end and by the awning roller at the other end. These poles are not mechanically fastened, gravity and geometry are the "glue". The last pole is in a pocket in the "roof" that drapes over the awning box and gets trapped between the box and the van gutter. Again there is no mechanical attachment. Getting the fit just right on this entrapment is the lynch pin of the design.

The "roof" assembly is white ripstop nylon with sleeping bag zippers sewn around three edges. Finding these zippers can be a real problem, so start searching early. The walls have a screen panel in the middle with a flap of fabric that acts as a privacy screen during the evening.

The white roof did reduce the temp under the awning as compared to when we have not used the room. The fabric flap turned out to also block the late afternoon sun and the cold late summer breezes at night. This allowed the use of the room for a much greater period of the day than we could have w/o the flaps. They also allow the room to be used as private extra sleeping space. Most of the day they are rolled up and tied above the screen inside the room.

ASSEMBLY: put the "roof" entrapment pole in the "roof" panel and drape the panel over the awning box. get under the panel and pull out awning put side aluminum poles into their pockets in the "roof", which is now on top of the awning. rest the pole ends on van & awning starting at the rear of the van begin zipping the "wall" to the "roof". proceed to front Light the barbie and have a beer!

If we have to leave the site during our stay, we have just pulled the poles and left the room on the ground, covering chairs, etc.

The whole process was 2 days, just before we left PA to go to Sun-N-Fun down in Fl. The mosquitoes were vicious, we were told!

Helen really did a superb job and it is a fantastic addition to the awning, which should be the first mod to any Westy IMO.

HTH Helen & Joe Fahy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Cradduck" <cradduck@KESTON.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 9:38 PM Subject: Making an add-a-room for an EVC