Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:19:38 -0800
From:   TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   Re: Water Level Indicator Red Blinking Light
Comments:   To: TNM941@aol.com

--- TNM941@aol.com wrote: > << For the benefit of the list members, here is a > short > description of how the system works: Basically, the > coolant level/temperature system is quite complex. > >> > > Dear Tinkerman, > > What a great description and explanation followed!!

Glad you enjoyed it...

> Surely you didn't discern > all of this from post mortem analysis.

You might find it hard to believe but I DID reverse engineer that damn system after losing the motor. I really lost confidence in the warning systems. So I wanted to understand them better and add audible alerts (if possible, school style bells...:-)

> What was your source?

My only source were the Bentley wiring diagrams, kindly provided to me by other nice list members, my common sense and experience and the parts themselves.

> Is this kind of > system description available to the rest of us who > are willing to pay for it?

Dunno. The Bentley is rather scarce on decriptions and the Haynes manual doesn't go into real depth either. I think the best option is to ask the gurus on this list (glad to have joined them on this particular subject...:-)

BTW, the oil pressure warning system (called "dynamic pressure warning system" or such) is even more complex (and smart? those Germans...). AFAI rememeber, There were descriptions of it's functionality on the list. Do a search in the archives.

===== Cheers, TinkerMan