Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:47:45 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Conclusion on 235/75-15s--Thumbs Down on 4th
Comments: To: derekdrew@RCN.COM

Derek,

Just a short comment to indicate that I am very pleased with the Yokohama Geolander AT+ 215/75-15 tire I am running on the Audi/Ronal multispoke alloys. I think the issue about responsiveness, pulling power and the like are also strongly related to the nonlinear accelerometer mounted in our respective gluteus maxima.

When I sold my '67 Sundial non-poptop camper, and switched to my '72 Safare high top, I immediately noticed the lack of power in the newer replacement. Initially, I liked the extra room of the high top, it's more comfortable sleeping arrangements, the wide glass expanse, etc. ... but then I drove it into an airport parking structure and suffered untold abuse at the hands of my colleagues over the rectangular notch I carved into the top, so quickly. I brooded so over the lack of power that I replaced the power train with a 132 hp-at-the-wheels corvair engine with 4-speed manual. Suddenly, the beast became dangerous! I had to learn to tack (sailboat analogy) to get around turns when I inadvertently got that beached whale up to 85 mph on the way to Mount Palomar. Gas mileage was tense, but smoking the rear wheels on Hollywood Blvd made up for that.

When I purchased the '82 Vanagon Diesel, I remarked in my diary that it was stronger than the 1600 AC Safare and handled stunningly well compared to the Corvair engined (remember Otto Parts?) beast albeit at lower speeds. The real kicker was when I drove into the Burbank Airport parking garage without incident!

When the gas crisis hit Southern California, our 35 mile each way commute to the lab was made downright pleasant with the auxiliary gas tank and a cruising range of nearly 750 miles between fill-ups. Two weeks of commuting before trying to find diesel again. But then as the mid-life crisis combined with the rapidly rising defacto highway speed limit, I knew I had to rejuvenate the propulsion unit. The switch to the '90 8V Digifant engine was astounding. Running the original 185 SR - 14 tires and the DZ diesel transmission with 5.83 final gears was actually exciting. Starting up from a dead stop would readily raise the nose, and I was flying (simile) up and down the local hillsides. But I was bothered by how small the 185-14's looked in their space. The more I obsessed about it the more I realized that I was annoyed by the speedometer error and became concerned about the high revs at speed. Truth be known, I was reverting to the diesel driving style (full throttle or full brake-4 cruising speeds ahead)!. The 1.8L inline four just purred at 5500 to 6000 rpm.

OK, so I talked my self into trying an effective rear axle change by going up to the 27-8.50 x 14' BFG's. Best damn tire I ever bought. I got easily twice the mileage out of these (they still have 35% tread left sitting in my garage), handling was good - BUT, my posterior immediately registered a huge hit in acceleration. Amazing! A less than 4% change in rev's per mile and it was immediately registered in the first trip around the block. Adding the AMS chip to the Digifant II ECU has not recovered the spunk lost by going from the 185-14's. Then when I went to the 215/75 x 15 's (convinced myself that I really should be running 6 inch rims with this size vehicle) another drop was felt.

So now I'm running the equivalent of 5.43 final gears (the gearing of the passenger car manual Vanagon diesel) and everything is fine. I thought it was actually sedate! Then I blew the doors off a non-westy 2.1 going up the grapevine. At the lab, I ran into a 1.9 L purist (all by the book, VW serviced always and of course - no aftermarket cupholders). Well, we swapped rides for a short while and I realized that the 1.9 (as judged by my anterior sensors) was a dog. When he came back, he was flushed, hair in disarray and was convinced I had a V8 in the rear.

My points:

1. None of these things are Austin Healeys. 2. Mine does quite nicely at 215/75 x 15. 3. Could be a very noticeable difference when working with normal WB gas gears. 4. The 8V 1.8 L just runs and runs. 5. And most important, the 215/75 x 15's are just gorgeous on those Audi/Ronals. Makes the machine so serious!

Note: Your results may vary!

Frank Grunthaner