Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:32:02 -0600
From:         Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AFM spring tension and 02
Comments: To: Mark Keller <kelphoto@islandnet.com>

I adjusted the spring tension on my 85 GL Digijet 4 days ago. The effect between spring tension and 02 sensor output went backwards from what I expected.

I started with 1.37 AFM volts at idle. I turned the notched black wheel in the AFM 10 notches clockwise, the AFM volts went to 1.10. Which I expected.

But the 02 started at .75 volts open loop, and after the spring tension adjustment the 02 went to .9 volts. Opposite of what I expected.

So I moved the AFM tension to 10 notches less than I had to begin with, the AFM volts went to 1.48. Which I expected.

But now the 02 went to .7 volts, the opposite of what it was supposed to do again.

The throttle valve controls the air to the engine and I didn't change that, all I changed was the open loop AFM signal to the ECU. With the greater AFM volts it should have added more fuel not less.

I left it at the 10 notches less and the .7 volts 02, and put it back in closed loop. The idle surge is gone for now (usually happens on a warmer day anyhow) and the digitool is hooked up.

No I'm not crazy, or at least not since I got out of my 20's.

Mark Ingalls

[text/html]