Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2001 01:20:52 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Are synchros more trouble than they are worth???

Jason...

Buy the best syncro you can afford. Shop around. List members are an invaluable resource both for finding buses and fixing them. Understand that you will be repairing ANY vanagon you get... after all, the youngest ones are now ten years old! The syncros were actually built by another company... not vw. I forget who... someone on the list will probably tell you. Ask if they don't and you really want to know.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that the syncros are better build than the 2WD. More heavy duty suspension... bigger fuel tank... really an excellent vehicle. And unlike anything else on the road. I've owned five buses now... three of them vanagons and this is the best one I've ever had. I paid dearly for it (you may have seen my recent post) and had to replace the viscous coupling and do some tranny work, but she is sweet as can be now... I love her. VC's are expensive... $850 from Derek Drew... much more from VW and others. Most syncros with a good deal of miles on them need new VC's. Ask Derek about that. Also look on the syncro list... http://www.syncro.org That site will tell you tons about syncros pros and cons. Yes upkeep is a little more than 2WD's, but they're worth it.

Like any car, it's all in the maintenance. If you can find one that someone has taken good care of you'll be in good shape... I'm far from being an expert... just a syncro lover. You will get lots of feedback on the list with a question like this. Don't let em scare you. Listen closely to their advice... be diligent about our search.... and be patient. The good ones can take some time.

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com