Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:15:39 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L white smoke
Comments: To: Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>

Generally, white smoke has nothing to do with fuel. White smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel. White smoke is telling you you have a ring gone bad, or a valve guide that is worn beyond limits and is allowing oil into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke. In my case it was a piston that has burned on the bottom side and was passing oil. The bad cylinger/piston was on the left side of the van, and hard right turns would bring clouds of white smoke. Finally burned a hole in the piston. When that happened, the pressure in the combustion chamber pressurized the case, pressurizing the push rod tubes pressurizing the valve cover s where-upon the valve cover gaskets would blow and oil would go everywhere. Very interesting and entertaining chain of events.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Bradley Flubacher wrote: > > Here's the background- I was driving home one day with a lifter that > started tapping the day before. The engine runs a bit sluggish off and on, > nothing new- I've always assumed it is the temp II sensor and/or the AFM. > The sluggishness didn't bother me much. I was on the gas pedal completely > and looking out the rear-view mirror (a habbit I got into after dumping all > the oil out the back end of my diesel a couple times) when I notice a big > plume of white smoke! I left off the accellerator and shut off the engine > immediately. I was close enough to home that I coasted up the road and into > my driveway. > > A day or so later, I started the engine to see how it behaved. Simply > noisey lifter, nothing else seemingly out of the ordinary. Days passed, and > eventually I replaced the lifter.. Now, I drive the vehicle and the lifter > is still noisey now and then. I probably need to readjust the valves now > that it filled with oil. (I failed to fill the lifter before installing it. > LIve and learn, right?) Anyhow, Tonight while driving to dinner with the > family, the engine felt very sluggish again. I was on the accelerator fully > (and looking out the rear-view-mirror) when I say the plume of white smoke > again! I let off the pedal a good bit, and the smoke immediately stopped! > > What in the world could this be? The engine is relatively strong. It runs > evenly. Note, both times it's done this, I was full-throttle (ie, enrichment > switch was closed). > > Any ideas? > > Bradley Flubacher > State College, PA