Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Mar 2001 06:52:33 -0500
Comments:     To: Chad <groch@WORLDCHAT.COM>
From:         Schmidt <schmidt5@HSONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: More O2 Sensor confusion...

Chad, all- I'd like to know the solution to this as I have the same problem. I recall my 84 having full power and smooth idle while my (1yr) old o2 sensor was disconnected and I awaited the new one from BD. Symptoms returned with the new properly installed o2 sensor. I'm sure my mpg would improve if I dc'd the sensor forever. I got dem ole intermit-no-power-crappy-idle-fill-the-tank-every-140-miles blues, mama. Things that MAY affect the o2 sensor performance on mine: I have no cat- just the straight pipe(cats are expensive). Maybe it is a bad ECU, but why is it not bad with the o2 sensor dc'd? I have the feeling that the most affordable, least time consuming answer is to cut and tape that one little wire. I hate to throw in the towel like that, but nobody seems to have the answer. Let me know if you correct the problem. I *KNEW* mine wasn't the only van with this problem! Jay 84 wolfsburg westy new plugs, plugwires, idle stabilizer, cap, rotor, ignition switch, AFM cleaned per archives, grounds double-checked, new o2 sensor on 1 y.o. entire exhaust, no vac leaks, no fuel starvation, no cat to clog yadda yadda yadda PS: I bet when your symptoms appear, if you shut off the eng for a few seconds you will temporarily cure this. ARGH!