Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:38:01 EST
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Throttle switch
Comments: To: poll7356@uidaho.edu

Matthew,

There are two different versions of the throttle position switches on the 1.9's. VW went from two single function switches convienently mounted on top of the throttle body to a single dual function switch mounted below the throttle body sometime in the '85 model year. My van was built in March '85 and has the single switch. The dual function switch is quite a bit more expensive than the singles -- even a pair of them (don't that figure).

Sounds like you need to adjust your idle switch maybe replace it.

As far as cleaning the throttle body, I had just planned on dousing the thing real good with Gumout or some other carb cleaner from a spray can to get rid of all the grunge that has built up. Since the throttle body only handles air there are none of the varnish issues of old carbs but there is a good oily dirt build up on it. Maybe getting rid of that will make the linkage and switch less prone to sticking. Maybe not but at least it will look better.

Removing the throttle body shouldn't be difficult -- just two screws, one small hose and the linkage -- but nothing I've done with the engine has been as simple as it appears. I know I'm going to replace the AFM in the not to distant future so I plan to take care of a whole host of minor issues then so I only have to take it all apart and put it back together once -- call me a coward.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy -- 'Roland'