Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:09:37 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: AFM spring adjsutment
Comments: To: "Patrick Callaghan Jr." <patcal@QWEST.NET>

"Seat of the pants" setting of the CO is hardly ideal and I think you'd be better off to have this done at a shop. However, the book "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management" has this to say:

"If a CO meter is not available, adjust the mixture for the leanest setting that provides a smooth idle, then enrich the mixture an additional 1/4 turn. Test drive and check for surging at part throttle. If so, enrich 1/4 turn at a time until the surging disappears."

Obviously, this is written for the normal way of setting the mixture - turning the adjusting screw - so you'll have to modify it to your circumstances. I think the way I'd approach this is as follows:

1) Turn the adjusting screw all the way in, then turn out 2-3 turns. 2) Open up the AFM, mark the original position of the wheel. 3) Tighten the AFM spring by, say, 7 teeth. 4) Close up the AFM, securing the cover with tape, and try the above.

The cover of the AFM should be air-tight. Naturally, you destroy this seal when you pry the cover off, so try to restore the cover to its air-tight condition when doing your adjustments (hence, the suggestion for tape around the rim of the cover while testing out your adjustments) and be sure and seal it back up when you're done. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Tom Young tomyoung1@home.com Lafayette, CA 94549 '81 Vanagon ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Callaghan Jr." <patcal@QWEST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 8:47 AM Subject: AFM spring adjsutment