Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:14:37 -0800
From:         earl smith <comox54@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      stolen van

Re: Theft of Volkswagen Vanagon Westphalia VIN No.: WV2ZB0254EH037444 Licence: EHT 314

Our camper was stolen from the Boulevard Costero near the intersection of Avenue Alvarado in Ensenada, Baja California North, between 1400 and 1515 on March 4, 2001

The vehicle was locked and parked in front of the park which was frequented by families. People were constantly walking along the boulevard as a cruise ship was in harbor.

The theft was immediately reported to the Municipal Police, the State Police, and the Highway Patrol. In addition, the tourist assistance office helped me to place an advertisement in the local paper offering as reward for information leading to its return.

As our van is nearly 20 years old, it was not an attractive target for thieves - except of course to be broken into for the contents. It has been suggested that it was stolen to use in distributing drugs as it looks innocent and has many hiding places.

Our van is white with stripes along each side but not across the back because the hatch was repainted. It is distinctive because there is: a grab handle on the driver door side. a yellow fog light on the body on the same side. a vacuum gauge mounted in the center of the dash and visible from the outside. a radio aerial that looks like a short wave aerial. the cabinet under the sink has four drawers instead of a door. an extra reading light on the side of the closet. a Vagabundo Del Mar sticker on the front and back window. a Canadian coast guard sticker on the back of the closet visible through the rear window. a tie-down loop on each side of the pop top at the back and in the center the VW mirrors have been replaced with chrome Ford truck mirrors an aluminum bracket on each corner of the top to mount roof racks. Also the rear bumper is from a Datsun Pickup truck.

Assistance of members in recovering this van will be much appreciated although I realize it is a long shot.