Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:41:28 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Instrument Lighting Mishap

When changing the bulb over the tach in my 88 GL, I found it difficult to get at to get the right twist on the bulb itself. So, In my wisdom ) in this instance...HA HA!!) I removed the little square fixture that attached over the tach. Made removal of the bulb easy.

But, when I went to put it back together I found a little piece of metal laying on the instrument pod. It had come loose from somewhere...the fixture, the dash, not sure where, and I don't know where it goes or how to put it back in. I mounted the light, turned it on, and it worked. Only the throw of the light is not right, and certainly didn't match the speedo lighting. Night fell on me, so I couldn't finish the job, so waited 'til morning. This morning I decides to take the other fixture loose so I could see what the metal piece was all about. So I am working with the cover off the instrument panel, trying to unlock the light fixture, and it is stuck. Made sure the locks were clear, still stuck. Applied just a little more pressure...and pop...it comes loose suddenly,,,and ding-a-ling...the little metal piece goes flying and strikes the windshield, bounces back, and right down the hole in the instrument pod into the never never land behind the dash!!!! I will never find it or be able to fish it out. I hope it doesn't cause a short, burn out a component, or start a fire.

So now I have two fixtures with no metal piece on either/

Question. has anyone out there with parts vehicles got some of the fixtures they could sell me with the little metal pieces attached.

Question, does anyone know how the metal piece is installed?

Question. If no one has some they could sell me, do you know if the dealers carry them

Any input is appreciated.

TIA,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver with screwed up instrument light fixtures