Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:58:12 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Clutch replacement report - longish

I have just finished replacing the clutch on my Œ82 westy, here is a short? summary . . .

The van: Œ82 westy, 187K miles, was diesel, I4 gas (1800 digifant) installed in Œ94 at approx. 85K miles.

Symptoms: clutch becoming noisy, a rattling-scraping noise during engagement, juddering sometimes, noisy throw-out bearing, some oil leakage around bellhousing, and last summer the clutch didnšt fully dis-engage sometimes (after long drive or after parked for a couple of days, although this problem disappeared last fall).

I didnšt know if the previous owner had replaced the clutch. I bought the van back in Œ93 with 80 K miles on it. I thought it possible that this was the original clutch.

I bought a Sachs clutch replacement kit (complete with new throw-out bearing and nifty alignment tool), an Erling transmission gasket kit (T4S), an engine rear main seal, and a transmission main shaft seal.

I cleaned up one bay of the garage/barn (in the process of stripping the varnish from the inside of my canoe, ugh!) and backed the van in on some wheel ramps, raising the rear end about 8˛.

Removing the trans was straight forward, lowered it using a floor jack, eased it off the jack and slid it out from under the van and then lifted it onto the workbench.

The transmission had been oozing oil from the bellhousing-maincase joint, like some greasy stigmata, collecting dirt. I used a putty knife to clean it up. The throw out bearing was pretty well worn and one of the retaining springs had broken allowing the bearing to cock slightly on the guide sleeve. This was probably why it didnšt fully disengage those times last summer.

I drained the tranny and removed the bellhousing. This allowed me to drive the old mainshaft oil seal out from behind. I cleaned and lubed the release shaft, installed the new throw-out bearing, put a new gasket on the bellhousing and re-assembled. Then I carefully installed the new seal (covered the splines on the shaft with masking tape) and refilled the tranny. I also cleaned and lubricated the shift linkage assembly on the front of the transmission.

Back under the van I went at the clutch proper. 3 of the cap bolts that hold the pressure plate on to the flywheel came out without a struggle, but I managed to round out the 6mm sockets of the remaining 3. I guess I was cocky from having no problems with the cv joint bolts and went at the bolts carelessly, but also the Craftsman socket 6mm hex key is not a perfect fit. I managed to loosen one of them by banging in my 6mm 12 pt. The other two I had to grind the heads halfway through and then use Vice-Grips to back them out (heat of the grinding had broke the bond). I had marked the relative position of the pressure plate on the flywheel before removing it and also marked the relative position of the flywheel to the crankshaft before removing that.

The pressure plate had worn, but not broken, diaphragm spring fingers. The clutch disc looked like it still had lots of łmeat˛ on it. Mmm, I guess the clutch had been replaced by the PO. I noticed what looked like a manufacturing date stamp on the pressure plate suggesting it was made in 1990.

I removed the flywheel, which was in great condition, didnšt need any machining, only some scuffing with sandpaper.

I had to really destroy the rear main seal on the engine to remove it.

IMPORTANT: get the installation tool/guide to help you install a new seal! I guess its possible to do it without one, maybe, if youšre lucky...

I used blue Loctite on the flywheel bolts and the pressure plate bolts during re-installation. I also filed a notch in the pressure plate 12mm to the left (counter clockwise) of the factory TDC notch. This allows me to time the engine at 5 degrees BTDC with a standard old fashioned timing light.

It was, doh, harder to re-install the tranny than it was to drop it. Managed to bend and break one of the spade terminals on the back up light switch, argh, sort of fixed it by whittling away some of the plastic insulation revealing enough of the spade to get a connection.

The new clutch feels oh so much better. No juddering, quieter, and lubing the linkage sure made shifting nicer!

Alistair