Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:07:53 -0500
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: CO adjustment
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>

How did you discover your vacuum leak?

Todd Last wrote:

> I replaced my AFM and now need to adjust the CO. Is this something that > a garage mechanic can do, or is this something that I need to take the > van to a shop for. > > I guess there is no such animal as a cheap CO sniffer. > > Todd > '88 Westy

Very interesting question. Considered it myself a few years ago when my 84 failed the Illinois smog test. I wanted something that would at least tell me whether things were getting better or worse when I tried various adjustments. I bought a home type CO monitor with a digital display for about $30 or $40. Unfortunately it took two minutes to take each each reading. It was also designed for much lower CO levels than you find in exhaust so I had to try to find a way to dilute the exhaust by a reproducible amount. I spent way too much time fooling around with aquarium pumps, hoses, bleeder and mixer valves etc. without much success. Eventually I discovered a big vacuum leak in the intake area and after I fixed it the O2 sensor voltage started to act sensibly. Passed the smog easily and abandoned the sniffer project. C'est la vie.

Larry A.