Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:06:39 -0500
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: nuthin's easy anymore..
Comments: To: Steve Arbaugh <sneakers@OZ.NET>

I'd bet your regulator is shot and the pump over-pressured and blew off the fuel line where it connects to the plastic line. BTDT

Jay (happened on my '86)

Steve Arbaugh <sneakers@OZ.NET> on 03/14/2001 07:16:39 PM

Please respond to Steve Arbaugh <sneakers@OZ.NET>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: nuthin's easy anymore..

one of those days, I guess. I figured I'd drive the westy for a few days, since it's not a daily driver, and hadn't been out for a few weeks. soooo, I swapped it's parking space with the usual commuter, but doing so I noticed a gas smell hanging about. I figured it was that junker that just drove past. Started it up again and got the smell, stronger. hmmmm... take a look underneath. This was one of those times when things just slow way down and become exceedingly clear. I see spurting fluid, hitting the side of the trans from the pressure line, dripping off the trans (and everything else around it) onto the exhaust. I see the waves of the fumes rising off the manifold, sorta cool in an "ohmigohd" kinda way. Shut down, check for flames, watch for a while longer to make sure nothing ignites, then start breathing again. The culprit is the junction of the fuel line just in front of the sheet metal in the engine compartment. There's a crimp fitting from one type of hose to the one feeding into the motor (or so it appears). I can see it and touch it easiest from over the rear wheel, but that's a stretch. I've already ordered Ken's fuel line replacement kit, but from those who have already done this, what's the easiest way to get to this section? Pull the wheel and crawl in that way, or underneath? I've got ramps and jackstands, but I hate using these on my driveway because it is a bit too steep for comfort. anyway, sharing, and any advice is appreciated.... steve '85 westy (leaking, but not water) kent, wa