Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Mar 2001 08:12:38 -0800
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: tire wear in the rear
Comments: To: "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM>

Bill,

On my 84 Westfalia, there is a rear adjustment capability, although I am not sure if it pertains to your problem.

Re: Listee opinions on rear wheel alignment. Check again, in the Bentley, on "Wheels, Tires, Wheel Alignment," Page 44.4.

Peter Russek's "Volkswagen Transporter, Pocket Manual," says, "The alignment of rear wheels should be measured with an optical instrument. Measurement with a mechanical gauge, as it may be possible on the front wheels is not recommended on the rear wheels, as the small tolerances may not be obtained." To CHECK the the basic adjustment, however, a mechanical instrument may be used."

et seq Russek: "Toe-in 0 degrees, plus or minus 10' per wheel. Camber adjustment -(minus) 50'plus or minus 30' Measurements to be taken with vehicle empty.

Haynes says, under "Rear Suspension Geometry," "1. The rear suspension trailing arm mounting brackets are provided with elongated slots for the retaining bolts to allow for adjustment of the suspension angles. 2. The outer bracket incorporates a vertical slot for camber adjustment and the inner bracket a horizontal slot for adjustment of the rear wheel alignment (toe setting) 3. Adjustment is carried out by slackening the retaining bolts and moving the trailing arm in the desired direction to achieve the correct setting. 4. (NOTE to Do it yourselfers "Due to the need for special gauges and equipment to carry out this adjustment, it is recommended that the vehicle be taken to the VW dealer to have the work done. Adjustment should only be necessary if the raining arm retaining bolts have been disturbed or if the rear time wear appears to excessive or uneven." Emphasis added.

I have a Hunter alignment performed at Sears for about $50.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia