Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:37:49 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stud vs bolt / Merits of Macho Bumpers
Comments: To: radish150@earthlink.net

In a message dated 3/17/01 2:17:56 PM, radish150@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< One more thing, I'm planning on building some burly custom pipe bumpers for this van, I like the idea of getting rear ended at 20mph and not having a scratch on the van. >>

About a year and a half ago a nearly full length of 3 X 6 X .375 6061 AL structural channel came my way. I started to go through the process of turning it into a fine set of bumpers for my newer Syncro. I talked to my buddy at a fab shop and he said he would be able to roll the curves into it to match the original bumpers. If I did the fitting and finishing on the bumper ends he would do the weld up.

I was all set to do this when my daily driver Syncro was ass-ended. As I have mentioned before, I was stopped at the bottom of a rather steep hill when I was hit by a 101 year old guy. He claimed his brakes had failed, but, in reality, he had mistaken the throttle for the brake pedal and no matter how hard he pushed on it, his car refused to stop. The damage amounted to the left rear corner of the van going bye-bye. The left end of the bumper was flattened and had a hinge bend at the bumper mount. The lower left corner of the hatch opening was moved forward about 2 inches, the corner panel was bulged from the beltline down and the trailing wheel opening was gone. But, all in all, the damage was skin deep. I then thought of what might have happened if all the kinetic energy from the collision had gone into a rigid bumper. Would the damage have been so easily repaired or would a sturdy bumper have transferred the forces more deeply into the structural elements of the van requiring repairs which are seldom done correctly? I have opted to run the stock bumpers and have my buddy, Chuck the bodyman, bump out the fenderbenders as they occur instead of him having to strap the van into his frame machine to try to make it whole again.

Rich