Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:27:45 -0800
From:         Leon Korkin <korkwood@SURFREE.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Boot replacement...

Daniel Schmitz wrote:

> While under my van replacing the coolant hoses, I was disheartened to > note that three of my CV boots are torn at the small ends. There had > been no noise from the CV joints the last time the van was driven, so > I'm thinking that I just need to thoroughly disassemble, clean and > reassemble the CVs with new boots. I'm hoping that 4 CV boot kits will > be the extent of this job. > > This might be a dumb question, but: > > For the outer CV joints, is it possible to remove/install the bolts > through the suspension trailing arm using an extension so that I don't > have to unbolt the hub assembly first?

Use 6" extension with socket wrench and good light. Push wrench to keep it from slipping out of socket and damaging the sides. Remove 3 or 4 bottom screws, turn axle 180 deg and remove the rest To make it easy on rubber boots when installing on axles i tape the ends of axles with electric vinyl tape and lube with grease, then push boots on. Leon 85 Subwagen Westy