Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:33:53 -0500
From:         John Philcox <jphilcox@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rough Idle on cold start, Oil Smells like Gasoline

John, This sounds a lot like the problem I recently had. The sooty plugs and exhaust, as well as the rough running when cold are signs of a rich running condition. When the engine warms up and goes into closed loop, the O2 sensor will at least partially correct the mixture, and idle will smooth out. My problem was a failed fuel pressure regulator, causing way too rich running. You need to start by checking the fuel pressure at the T in the fuel supply line. There's some pretty good information on this in the archives, and in Bentley. Let me know if you need more help, I just did mine a couple months ago.

The chugging may be related, but I think you'll need to resolve the rich running first.

John Philcox '85 GL Newport, RI

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 7:08 PM Subject: Re: Rough Idle on cold start, Oil Smells like Gasoline