Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:05:30 -0800
From:         John Dagastino <themisanthropicmeanie@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why my van is named Pokey,
              why is you van named what it is? (Was: Naming ?)

i think mebbe i'll call mine Big Blue (after the IBM supercomputer)

i shoudl suggest to my father that he name his Silver lightning, his is a helluva lot faster than mine (his is 2.11 /w manual vs mine which is 1.9 /w auto, the most opposite combo you can get..as fast as possible vs as slow as possible.)

mine's a generic GL

his is an 87 wolfy weekender (yes, i'm jealous..)

--- '80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG> wrote: > Pokey was the name given by the previous owner. > Being a sailor, I kept with maritime tradition and > did not rename her, as renaming a ship is bad luck. > > I thought the name Pokey came from her speed & > acceleration (or lack therof). The owner bosted that > she was powered by a rolls-hardly engibe (rolls down > one hill but can hardly get up the next). > > As it turns out I was incorrect. The name Pokey came > from the similarity of her Assuan Brown paint to the > the colour of the clay horse Pokey from "Gumby and > Pokey" fame. > > As such, if I ever get the syncro I am dreaming of > she will be named "Gumby"... green paint (preferred) > or not. > > Thanks, > Chris > > On Sat, 17 March 2001, pensioner wrote: > > > > > REF: Naming your vanagon... > > > > Hi volks, > > > > Nope I don't copy the original note in all it's > <html> glory. > > > > Ruby was purchased after a one minute love affair > from a private party who > > had mistreated the old girl. She was red and > ready for good traveling. On > > the first trip, the poor tires had her wobbling > and swaying down the road > > like a well attired matron at Saks Fifth Ave. > Ruby, she was. She passed on > > in spirit when a testosterone-crazed F150 with 35" > tires driver dealt a > > fatal blow after an astounding display of > incompetent driving. > > > > Ruby's replacement is Bessie, the charolais > camper. A white beauty that I > > scarcely remember since Detlev and the Vanagon > Projekt had his way with her. > > Bessie earned her name on a poppywatching trip as > she dawdled along sniffing > > the flowers and enjoying the spring air. TWO > springs ago. Are you > > listening, Bob? > > > > Don't rush to name the new addition, he or she > will demonstrate the > > necessary kharma to justify the name. > > > > After a couple of weeks off the list I note that > there are 35 DIGEST > > entries. Got to go, lotsa reading to do. > > > > pensioner > > Thanks, > Chris Gronski > '80 Westy "Pokey" - SLOPOKEY > '87 Chevrolet Sprint - Ice Racer > '91 Pontiac Firefly - Convertable > www.vanagon.org & .ca > www.gronski.com, .org, & .ca > www.nineeleven.org & .ca

===== "Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy. " - H. L. Mencken "Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden More Quotation fun @ http://nerddom.8m.com/quotes.html