Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:32:14 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: the "Kombi" ....

At 00:07 15/03/01 -0500, you wrote: >Subject: Re: the "Kombi" .... was:Re: my new 85 vanagon > >>vinyl seats, and rubber floor mats, no cloth or carpet. no tach. >>usually no power steering. in other words - a PANEL VAN WITH WINDOWS AND >>SEATS.

Yea!...and a sh*t load less stuff to eventually give trouble ;)

>And a great machine to take care of. Sand from the beach? Dirt from the >trail? Mud from just about anywhere? No sweat, let it dry, sweep it out >and its as good as new. After using this plain jane, I have a hard time >convincing myself to upgrade to a vanagon with carpet (although I am >hoping to get my cloth front seats cleaned enuff to use them) Maybe I am >just slow to convert ;)

Not at all!

Kombi in German kinda means station wagon (they call VW Kombis"Bullis") so it doesn't really have to be a base line van,just not specifically a panel,camper,caravelle,carat etc.In can still have carpet and other percieved niceties but it's still a Kombi if it is basically a passenger van/station wagon,although Chris's comment that it is a panelvan with windows/seat belt anchors is indeed correct as that's the way a lot of them came from the factory.But if you optioned it up it's still a Kombi if essentially that's the configuration.I guess the US just didn't get a lot of them like that.It's a different story in the big ol' rest of the world.

My '92 falls into that catagory as it is a 5 seater wagon.The fact that it has a rear seat that folds to a full width bed,sliding side windows, with screens,front bull bar,rear protection bar/tow bar,180 deg.swivel seats,15" alloy wheels,side mounting annex etc etc doesn't change a thing.

As a surfer,skier, MTB rider & musician I love having rubber floor mats and a basic interior(it does have interior hardboard linings in the back) Without much to screw up inside,it can be used for anything and the simple utalitarian (sp?)nature of it means I can just sweep out the van regularly and it comes up still looking like new after nearly 9 years. I just had to add some interior attachment points so that stuff doesn't move about and hit the painted surfaces. I do have carpet squares that I have in the rear section when I want a more luxurious floor when camping sometimes but they can quickly be removed and there's the rubber floor again ready for a load. The only vehicle I have with carpet as such is the Beetle and it requires a lot more attention to keep looking nice & clean.

Not knocking the fancier versions or other people's need for greater creature comforts but you can't get much more versatile & practical than the humble Kombi....No offense intended :)

Das Kombi Uber Alles! Steve O Blue Mountains,NSW,Australia '92 Transporter WBX 2.1 Kombi '76 Transporter Double Cab 2.0 '68 Beetle w/1.6 '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab 2.5 (work truck) '48 Fairmont M19 Speeder