Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2001 18:21:42 -0500
From:         George Averill <averill@LDL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water Level Indicator Red Blinking Light
Comments: To: TinkerMan <tinkerman007@yahoo.com>

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this message. By the way, I think I have finally learned to spell "gauge". Sometimes it doesn't help to check the VW spelling when you aren't sure. The page in the Bentley manual that shows the schematic diagrams spells it "gage", but the header page that lists the parts has it spelled correctly. The fuel "gauge" is also misspelled on the schematic. Oh, well. Spelling definitely isn't my strong point!

Here is where I stand. The red light has suddenly decided to come back on and stay on when the ignition is turned on. It is supposed to come on and blink, then go off. I assume this is a check of the components.

I have a new coolant low-level-warning switch (the two probes that protrude into the water). They were installed this past summer when the plastic tank started leaking. I have removed the two female connectors that attach the wires to the coolant low-level-warning switch, cleaned them and tightened them. No corrosion was evident. They may have been a little loose. (Note: The red light came on before I did this.)

I replaced the coolant low level-warning control unit and the combined coolant temperature gauge/coolant over-temperature warning light about a year ago. Don't think the low level-warning control unit was bad. I think the problem was a bad combined coolant temperature gauge/coolant over-temperature warning light. Any way, things worked great for a couple of months. Then the red light came on and wouldn't go off. Then it went off and never came back on until this week.

Questions: 1. Do you have any suggestions for checking out just the coolant low level-warning control unit? If I can determine if the old one I took out is OK, then I can swap out the one that is currently in the plug. Both may be bad. It's a real pain to get to the coolant low level-warning control unit that is mounted on the side beneath the dash. What signal does it put out that gets multiplexed with the variable resistance/current circuit of the coolant temperature sending unit? I may be able to put it on a oscilloscope. Have you ever done this?

2. Can you send me the schematic for the parallel circuit you designed that had audible and visual indication of the loss of coolant?

3. Do you have any idea how much the voltage (10v regulated) to the gauge can vary? I was also having problems with the 10v voltage regulator blowing out. I finally built an external 10v supply to replace the single chip that was in the circuit. I later learned that there was a modification to the circuit that added a diode in one lead of the regulator chip. My regulator incorporates a variable resistor to change the voltage and may not be exactly 10v. It is very close, and the temperature meter reads mid scale where it should after the engine has warmed up.

4. Will the red light come on, blink, then go off if the coolant low level-warning control unit is removed from the circuit?

What someone really needs to do is to connect the components on a workbench and take readings for comparison to one that is connected in a vehicle.

Please respond directly to my e-mail. Thanks again in advance. George P.S. Next week I will finish working on the broken sliding door handle problem. Thanks to everyone who responded. I don't seem to have time for more than one problem at a time!

----- Original Message ----- From: "TinkerMan" <tinkerman007@yahoo.com> To: "George Averill" <averill@LDL.NET> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 7:09 PM Subject: Re: Water Level Indicator Red Blinking Light