Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:38:19 -0500
From:         Tom and Dana Cates <dcates1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Paddy's Wagens trip report

WOW!

What an awesome event. We got started with a bang when the nice Rangers opened up the closed loop so we could all camp together. It got better from there. Brent and Debbie showed up with an entire trailer of firewood, and then some newcomers were given a hearty welcome when they contributed another half trailer load. One bus broke down on arrival, one bus made it on the left front brake (they knew because it was the only hot one), and one bus arrived in tow. I think about ten busses were newcomers-the biggest turnout of fresh people yet.

I know that there was a community breakfast on Saturday morning, but Dana and I kind of missed it, unfortunately. Mad Uncle Dave cut out fairly early in the Burrito Express to honorably serve in our country's defense, giving us all vaguely uncomfortable thoughts for the remainder of the day. A mountain bike ride was organized, but poorly attended. Charles and I gave it a go for at least a mile before heading back.

Most of the day was spent visiting with the with the passengers of the thirty busses in attendance. There was everything from half a dozen Splitties to a brand new Eurovan with a side tent and a back tent. It was a magnificent mishmash of models and years.

Saturday evening the fun began. Someone made fifteen gallons of homebrew and coincidentally Maddog was selling hand etched commemorative pint glasses. The community Irish themed dinner was variations of excellent Irish stews, washed down with the brew. What a meal. I think that I never realized the colossal importance of the community meal until this campout, when I watched something like a dozen young kids fed, washed, and put to bed in about thirty minutes flat. In the middle of all that dinnertime precision the kids were also given their door prizes. One fortunate set of parents saw their child awarded an elaborate water balloon launcher.

Maddog then gave out the Adult prizes, which ranged from t-shirts, commemorative glasses, two supreme prints, and the other water balloon launcher. We gave him a big sendoff for his Appalachian thru-hike, which he begins on Tuesday. You can follow his progress at: http://www.trailjournals.com/underdog

Then we all had to go home today. That part sucked.

Pictures will be posted whenever Snoopy gets around to it, so don't pester him.

Tom and Dana Cates Asheville, NC 83 Air-Cooled Westfalia, 'Hammurabi' www.fullmoonbusclub.com/ www.type2.com/rescue/ http://members.home.net/fullmooninjoon/index.htm