Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:33:27 -0800
From:         Scott D Foss <turbovans@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Damaged cooling pipe/2 "T" connectors present (long)....
Comments: To: djs@GENE.COM

Have seen two vanagons so far with the pipe problem you describe - the metal sleeve slid out about a quarter inch.

each time it was the right hand pipe, the one closer to the passenger's side of the van. both times I was able to get a hose over it far enough to make a good seal. I was unable to push the metal sleeve back into the plastic pipe, although i did not try heating it with a heat gun, which might have helped or ruined the whole pipe !

re rear heater, don't know if you are the guy who says he has a NEW rear heater, but my recomendation is to always disconnect the rear heater - they just rot out.

the only thing that can be done to keep them from corroding and leaking is to keep them on about 30 % all year so fresh coolant circulates.

I have occasionally run into a situation where you just CAN NOT get the right part, even tho you have a stock US model. Mistakes get made, and parts people can only go with the numbers and pictures they have, and if it's not in the price sheet, well, it doesn't exist.

good luck, hope that helps a little, scott