Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:59:09 -0500
From:         Bill Knight <bill.knight@USA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water Level Indicator Red Blinking Light
Comments: To: Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>

Blinking Light:

Try removing the connector on top of the expansion tank and thoroughly cleaning the contacts, then use some vaseline as a di-electric grease to reconnect. I've often found this connector to be the source of the blinky problem.

Steering wheel noise:

Spray some WD-40 on the horn contact. Look under the steering wheel where it rotates, and you will see a little round button pressing against the circular contact. This can get dirty and give you the scratchy sound when the steering wheel is turned.

Regarding the archive search:

I too have been very frustrated with the archive search. I was wondering if there might be a better search engine that could be mounted on the server to index the archives for faster retrieval. Anyone else have any comments about this?

Bill Knight Raleigh, NC 84 Wolfsburg Westy 91 Vanagon Carat

on 3/19/01 9:08 AM, Dave Baker at DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM wrote:

> Yeah. I'm in the midst of a blinkathon myself. The PO told me he had > replaced the sensor but still had a problem with it coming on. After I took > delivery, the problem cleared up. Drove it about 2000 miles with no winky > blinky (except at start-up). After sitting all winter, however, it has now > started to do its thing. Temp stays mid range, however, so I'm not worried > about overheating. I'll dig into it sooner or later and see what's up.

dave, and list...

i have been driving sparingly friday and today to get our new '87 syncro westfalia smogged, registered, and insured (we got PLATES TODAY!). when i was going to get it smogged friday, i couldn't get the blinking light to stop, but as you said it pegged directly over it so i wasn't worried.

this morning i drove to the dmv, and had an odd thing happen (though it sounds usual for a vanagon!). i was driving, it ran rough, and then in third gear it was fine. the light blinked for about two miles, and the temperature was middling for about the last half mile. i stopped for a red light, it was sitting at idle, and died. when i restarted, with no problems, i noticed the red light blink for about five seconds, then stop. temperature stayed pegged over it, and the van ran fine.

after the dmv, i drove to AAA for insurance, and noticed the light go off after about five seconds, good temp. then driving home it did the same thing, until i restarted after going to volks cafe, at which point it started blinking again. went off after about ten minutes, just before i got home.

i know i need a new expansion tank, and perhaps a new level sender. i'll see what happens after replacing those things.

other observations: besides that rough patch of running, definite alignment problems and horrid tires (but all the same size!), the only funny thing i noticed was the speedo worked fine...until suddenly, after AAA, it didn't. i didn't bang anything, and it stayed stuck on 0, but the mileage still turned. i went over a bump, and it slammed up to 40mph, and kept speed until i stopped for a red light. then it took about ten seconds and popped up when i hit 20mph. i didn't have time to discuss it at volks cafe (and i am dropping the van off for a full checkup wednesday), but when i was coming home from there i noticed it happen again. so i slapped the top of the instrument cluster, there being no big bumps in the road to jounce over, and it flipped up again. no problems the rest of the way home.

any ideas about that?

i also have one hell of a rusted out (original, i think) exhaust system. i can't budge the bolts holding the tailpipe flange, and that's all that is left of my tailpipe. it got smogged, but barely. i can feel two or three holes in the muffler, and can only assume the divots that are rusted out of the top of the front crossing header aren't perforations.

the inside is pretty gamey. as the archives are so slow, can anyone give recommendations about (a) carpet cleaning products for the front carpet set, (b) upholstry cleaning products for the front seats and the rear bench, (c) advice on getting the zip off mattress covers clean, and (d) products that will clean the cabinets and stainless and whatnot without ruining them? finally, who has cleaned that "burlap" type fabric on the headliner and the other covered panels throughout the van? it has shrunk a bit and i can see glue at the edges. easily replaceable?

the steering wheel sounds like it needs lube (makes a new brakepad grinding noise when i turn it), and the cowling above/below is separating. i haven't been able to get the seats to rotate, but i haven't spent a lot of time trying. and the engine lid rubber is decaying...any good way to get a replacement for this, so i don't have the little bits of rubber floating around my engine compartment/bed?

the power windows don't open on the passenger side, and the clip holding the switch into the door panel is gone (they drilled a hole to hold it in, but it's falling out now. also, anyone with power locks: does the driver's door lock opening from the outside open the rest of the locks? in essence, is the driver's lock the "master" of all the others?

that's about it, for now. thanks.

bill '87 syncro westfalia http://www.scruznet.com/~cikasper/pics/westy