Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:47:57 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Correct placement of cylinder head temp sender
Comments: To: puzerewski <puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

Adam and listees: I had one of those gauges on my old 79 loaf, and I did the spark plug ring deal, but didn't like it at all. The Sensor ring spun around during plug torquing and you had to remove the sparkplug washer so the plug stayed the same distance from the piston as the other 3 cylinders. YOu are correct about the boss on the #3 head, it doesn't give an accurate reading at all.

My choice was to use a custom made washer that held the sensor up against the exhaust manifold nut on the #3 cylinder and route the pigtail conector out of the shroud. That is probably a hotter reading than at the plug, but I don't remember the gauge(of questionable accuracy to begin with according to Gene Berg) ever getting over 450 degrees even climbing the Cumberland pass to Sewanee TN in the dead of summer with a rack full of kayaks on top of it. What it does do is give you a much quicker reading(as opposed to the oil temp gauge) when loads change or fuel becomes scarce etc. Even the wind direction affects it. If you substitute A/B/C/D/E forthe numbers on the gauge, you quickly develop a range of normal readings rather than get your underwear in awad over some number that sounds too high. BTW, my engine had a huge external oil cooler on it and dual 2 barrel Weber 44IDF's with head porting and a mild cam from FAT. Prolly not a fair comparison to a heavier vanagon with the stock FI on it as far as temps go.

My oil temp never got over 210 and I boiled water and stuck the dipstick gauge in the pot behind the rear bumper and the gauge read right on 100 degrees C. ----- Original Message ----- From: "puzerewski" <puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 11:04 AM Subject: Correct placement of cylinder head temp sender