Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:31:41 -0500
From:         Liz Maher <maher@MAHERCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: Virus Alert! This is the big one W32/Magistr
              (novanagonviruscontent)

Ok, now that we've thanked all the companies that make something other than Windoze, may I share what I do that keeps me virus-free (on Win98)?

Never open an attachment you aren't expecting unless it has a jpg, gif txt or other nonexecutable file entension. Even if it's from someone you know - many viruses email everyone in an addy book without that person's knowledge. Especially avoid .exe, pif, com, bat - anything executable. If you use Windows95+, change your settings to allow you to see file extensions for all files.

Don't use Outlook Express, Outlook, Exchange or "Internet Mail" - the one that comes with Explorer. Most viruses are written specifically for these email programs which have a "feature" that previews attachments - and can allow the virus to infect your system.The viruses also make use of the known, standard address books in these programs to send the virus on to everyone in your address book.

Get a virus scanner like McAfee, Norton, etc and UPDATE it at least weekly.

I have at least a dozen viruses pass through my system every week and I haven't gotten infected yet. <knocking on wood>

:) Liz