Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:43:58 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heater motor replacement
Comments: To: abeck@NT.SYMPATICO.CA
Comments: cc: "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>

I must beg to differ with both the honorable gentlemen: Those "shear bolts" have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with safety. They are there for the purpose of making it difficult to drop the steering column, hence more difficult to get to the ignition lock to disable it. In other words, they are tamper-resistant bolts. The "shear" part refers to the head which shears off when you tighten the bolt, thus supposedly making it impossible to get the bolts out without drilling. Aside from that they are perfectly ordinary M10 (?) bolts. They do not have any more influence on crash behavior than do the perfectly ordinary bolts installed lower on the column. The Vanagon steering wheel is designed to fold forward into the dash, not down through the floor, and if you examine the locating brackets inside the dash you'll see that they are slightly folded so as to make sure that they collapse properly in a crash, just as the hoods of regular cars have notches in their stiffening beams. These brackets are attached to the infamous shear bolts, and they are (intentionally) much weaker than the bolts. Anyone may verify this by inspection and by considering where the forces in a crash are applied.

People who believe that the thief is going to pull the lock with a slam-hammer instead of trying to drop the column and disassemble it will be happy with ordinary bolts which cost a lot less than $8 apiece, which is what the dealer gets for the unsheared shear bolts. Anyone who wants a slight discount from the dealer price may make an offer to me for the pair of new ones I bought just before I learned/figured out the above -- the first clue was the service manager looking at the brand-new bolts in my hand and telling me "they're for theft resistance..."

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"