Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:28:58 -0500
From:         Bill Knight <bill.knight@USA.NET>
Subject:      Switched Parking Lights

One of the things I've grown to like on my other cars, a Saab and a Subaru Forester, is that if you switch off the ignition key, all of the lights go off if the headlight switch is left in the "on" postion. The Vanagon headlights go out, but the parking lights and dash lights remain on. I was studying the wiring diagram and noticed that the headlight switch gets its power from the 30 track as well as the X track. The X track is switched power and is used for the headlights. The remaining lights get their power from the non-switched 30 track. Has anyone tried, or can offer any reason not to, connect the 30 pin directly to the X pin to cause all lights to be powered from the X track? The only problem I see is that you would never be able to use the parking lights without the key. Where do you use parking lights that the flashers would not suffice? I suppose I could install a little DPST switch to switch between the 30 track and the X track too.

Has anyone tried this?

Bill Knight Raleigh, NC 84 Wolfsburg Westy 91 Vanagon Carat