Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:45:13 -0600
From:         chad knutson <cskanute@BITSTREAM.NET>
Subject:      Re: '87 w/ surging idle
Comments: To: Ed Carroll <ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM>

Ed:

I have had the exact same problem you describe in my '87 Wolfy for the past two months. Less than a week ago I joined this mailing list, and after consulting my Bentley and asking the advice of this group, I took five minutes this morning before leaving for work to fix the problem. Maybe it's not a long-term fix if you live where it's cold, but it should be fine for the warm months: I removed the idle stablization unit. It's behind (in front of, depending on how you look at it) the right rear taillight. After doing so, I started my bus, kept my foot on the pedal for just a minute until it warmed up, and then let her idle peacefully away at a smooth 1100 rpms.

As I understand it, the idle stabilizer keep the idle up while the engine is cold. Good think it's getting warm out . . .

Chad Knutson Minneapolis